“A clear call for compassionate change: Well Woman welcomes today’s ballot recommendations from the Citizen’s Assembly
The Dublin Well Woman Centre has welcomed the results of ballots at today’s meeting of the Citizen’s Assembly, including –
- 93% support access to abortion in cases of serious risk to a woman’s physical health.
- 79% support access to abortion in cases of risk to a woman’s physical health.
- 90% support access to abortion in cases of serious risk to a woman’s mental health.
- 89% support access to abortion in cases of foetal abnormality not compatible with life.
- 80% support access to abortion in cases of significant foetal abnormality.
- 89% support access to abortion where a pregnancy results from rape.
- 72% support access to abortion in cases of socio-economic hardship.
- 64% support access to abortion with no restriction as to the reason.
Commenting on the results, Well Woman’s Chief Executive, Alison Begas, said:
“Once again, it’s been proven that citizens are well ahead of our legislators in terms of the compassion and courage with which they faced up to the reality of Irish abortion.”
“We particularly welcome the fact that 72% of Citizen’s Assembly’s members voted in favour of having no distinction between a woman’s physical and her mental health.”
A report from the Citizen’s Assembly will now be sent to Government for deliberation. In conclusion, Alison Begas stated –
“As an exercise in participative democracy, today’s ballot results leave the Oireachtas with literally nowhere to hide. In Well Woman’s view, our legislators should move as swiftly as possible to call a referendum that removes Article 40.3.3 from the Constitution and replaces it with the enabling clause authorising the Oireachtas to legislate for abortion in line with today’s recommendations.”
“Today’s events are not the end, nor are they the beginning of the end, but they can be seen as the end of the beginning, and a landmark step in ensuring women in Ireland can access safe and legal abortion services within Ireland’s healthcare services.”