Free Contraception Scheme (effective October 2022)
The Dublin Well Woman Centre is delivering services as part of the Government’s Free Contraception Scheme. Here we’ll explain everything you need to know to avail of this scheme:
The costs covered include:
- The 1st Contraception Consultation – to talk about contraception options
- A repeat consultation if a repeat prescription is needed
- Prescriptions issued by a doctor for contraception will be dispensed free of charge at participating pharmacies
- Your choice of contraception – from the types covered below
- Free fitting and removal of implants and IUDs or IUSs (coils).
- A 6-week check-up, relating to your implant or coil
- Emergency contraception (morning after pill)
To access free contraception, you need to be:
- a woman or person with a uterus
- aged between 17 and 25
- living in Ireland, and having a PPS number
We will need the following:
To secure your appointment we will require confirmation of your Date of Birth and PPS number. Date of birth can be done by supplying us with a copy of your driver’s licence or passport, along with your PPS number. Please also advise us if you have a medical card, Long-Term Illness card, EU Health card, public service card or letter from revenue.
This must be sent in advance of your first appointment to the clinic that you will be attending, at the following email addresses:
How to book an appointment?
For a coil or implant, first consultation is usually with a Clinic Nurse and then a second appointment is made for the fitting with a Clinic Doctor.
You will need to confirm your fitting appointment by email (the clinic you’re attending) 24 hours in advance otherwise your appointment will be cancelled.
What is covered
Short- Acting Contraceptives depend on you remembering to take or use them regularly.
- progesterone only and combined contraceptive pills
- the contraceptive patch
- the contraceptive ring
Long Acting Reversible Contraception is a type of contraception that you will not have to remember to take every day.
These include the:
- Intrauterine device or IUD and intrauterine system or IUS (these are also known as coils)
Non Hormonal Copper Coil devices are currently not available on the Free Contraception scheme, but Dublin Well Woman can supply them at a cost of €35 while your fitting is free under the scheme
If you also need Emergency Contraception with us here at the Dublin Well Woman Centre – this is also free under the scheme